The Environment Belongs to Each and Every One of Us.
We at Ocean Brands have a dual obligation to protect our environment for future generations and to ensure that the resources from our oceans are harvested in responsible and sustainable methods. We strive to be good stewards of our oceans so that fish stocks are abundant and resilient to our fishing pressures.
Ocean Brands is taking major steps in responsible seafood sourcing. We are committed to ensuring that our oceans are not overfished, as this is not only a threat to our environment but a threat to our long term business. Maintaining and improving the ocean’s ecosystem ensures that we harvest the top quality products for customers.
Our Procurement plan is based on rewarding suppliers who commit to using sustainable fishing best practices to ensure as little disruption to the ocean’s ecosystem. These include overfishing, reducing by-catch of non-target species, and fishing practices harvested in a way that reduces marine damage.
All Ocean Brands’ canned seafood products are traceable. We can determine the origins of any product throughout the supply chain. We have a chain of custody that allows us to determine which fishing boat, area and method of catch, and processing plant our products originated from, and to which retailers they are shipped to.
Ocean Brands believes the industry is moving in the right direction but a lot of work needs to be done to achieve our intended goals.
We are committed to responsibly sourcing our tuna products from sustainable fisheries. Part of our decision process is identifying regions that have an active management program comprised of governments, fisheries management organizations, and international tuna fleets working together on policy issues. Ocean Brands is a member of the IPNLF (International Pole and Line Foundation). We also support any fishery closures made by tuna RFMOs (Regional Fisheries Management Organizations).
By the end of 2017, all Ocean’s light and value added products will be Free Swimming Caught, FAD (fish aggregating device) free, or Pole & Line caught. All our Ocean’s and Gold Seal albacore tuna products are sourced from either circle hook or Pole & Line fisheries.
As part of our goal to source 100% of our raw material from sustainable fisheries, we have instituted processes and procedures to track raw material sources and catch methods to achieve full traceability.
We are also working closely with our fish suppliers on the following initiatives:
- To improve fishing methods for Albacore tuna to eliminate the levels of bycatch by adopting best practice mitigation measures
- To implement a plan to make available certified FAD Free Ocean’s tuna all year
- To eliminate sourcing from protected marine reserves
Our procurement policies will be discussed at every meeting with our tuna suppliers. The suppliers will be made aware that their cooperation and active involvement is a key factor in conducting business with Ocean Brands.
Ocean Brands salmon is harvested from wild Canadian and Alaskan fisheries.
We have a commitment to source and label (effective 2016 season) all Ocean’s and Gold Seal Sockeye Salmon from Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) approved sources.
The Alaskan fishery uses the FAO-Based Responsible Fisheries Management (RFM) certification process for Pink Salmon. Global Trust assesses the Alaskan salmon fishery against criteria directly derived from the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries. This is an internationally recognized standard developed by the United Nations (UN) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
Supplier Code of Conduct
To ensure all products are manufactured with high ethical standards, all suppliers have signed Ocean Brands’ Supplier Code of Conduct. SAI Global will perform independent audits of all suppliers. Ocean Brands expects these audits to be completed in the fall of 2016.
Ensuring human and labour rights are upheld is key to any sustainability commitment, and all of our suppliers share in our goal of providing a safe and positive work environment.
Major achievements to date:
- Ocean Brands became a founding member of the IPNLF (International Pole and Line Foundation) in 2012, and the first national brand to introduce Pole & Line caught tuna to the Canadian market.
- Since 2013, all Ocean’s flavoured light tuna were free swimming caught (FAD Free).
- In 2015,all Ocean’s and Gold Seal Albacore tuna are long-line caught using circle hooks in an effort to reduce bycatch.
- Starting 2016 season, all Ocean’s and Gold Seal Sockeye Salmon will be MSC certified.
- In 2016, Code of Conduct was introduced to all suppliers, which will be audited by a standard developed by Ocean Brands and SAI Global
- By 2017, all Ocean’s light tuna and value added products will be Free Swimming Caught (FAD free)
Read more about our Dolphin Friendly and Pole & Line.